Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Way: Part 3

You know those moments. You know which moments I'm talking about, or at least I hope you do. Those moments where you know that you're in the presence of Almighty God. Those moments that send chills up your body, and you cannot do anything but be amazed at the majesty and grandeur of God. I had one of those tonight.

It's funny, because earlier today I tried to blog but to no avail. My thoughts were jumbled and all over the place. I knew God wanted me to write about something else. So, I'm driving to Chicken Express to get dinner, and it happened. I drive off campus, and as soon as I look up, I see a crazy lightning show. Three or four lightening bolts every second it seemed like. As this was happening, I was listening to "Soon" by Hillsong United, which talks about Christ's return. And I was silent. Chills running up (or down, however you want to say it) my body. I was struck by the thought of how great our God is. How could or why would God choose us and love us, so wrecked and ravaged by sin? He loved us enough to give up Christ, so that we might receive grace? And then, I was wrecked by the lyrics of Soon:

Soon and very soon
My King is coming
Robed in righteousness
And crowned with love
When I see Him, I shall be made like Him
Soon and very soon

Soon and very soon
I'll be going to the place He has prepared for me
Then my sin erased, my shame forgotten
Soon and very soon

I will be with the One I love
With unveiled face I'll see Him
There my soul with be satisfied
Soon and very soon

Soon and very soon
See the procession
The angels and the elders round the thrown
At His feet I'll lay
My crowns, my worship
Soon and very soon

I will be with the One I love
With unveiled face I'll see Him
There my soul with be satisfied
Soon and very soon

Though I have not seen Him
My heart knows Him well
Jesus Christ the Lamb, the Lord of heaven

I will be with the One I love
With unveiled face I'll see Him
There my soul with be satisfied
Soon and very soon
Soon and very soon
Soon and very soon

You know that, right? In the early days of the church, they lived every day believing that Christ was coming back the very next day. Christ is coming back one day. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But someday, he's coming back. How often do I live like that? Heck, do I live like that? Ask yourself the same question. Do you live with that kind of an urgency? The apostles did. Daily, they took with themselves the message of reconciliation. They had seen the risen Lord, and it consumed their very being. I pray that you and I would live with that kind of passion.

My favorite line of that song is the bridge, which says, "Though I have not seen him, my heart knows him well." Yes, the apostles had seen him after his resurrection, which was the birth of their passion; however, we can still know him well. I pray that you do. I long for that day that we can stand in Heaven together and see our God and our King, our Lord and our Savior. But for know, we still live like Paul describes in 1 Cor. 13:12: "For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known."

Let us always eagerly await the day of his return, as we live with an urgency to carry the message of reconciliation everywhere. 1 Corinthians 2:2: "For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified." May that be said of us.

-Trace

No comments:

Post a Comment